Microsoft has released a tool for making the installation of Exchange 2007 SP2 on an SBS 2008 easier. The tool provides a step-by-step wizard that simplifies the installation of Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 on a computer that is running Windows SBS 2008.
Download the tool here
Why do we need a tool, one might ask? When you try to install SP2 manually (in the normal way), the setup won’t start. The problem is that ExBPA detects the server as an SBS and won’t allow the service pack installation.
So, how did we install SP2 before the tool was released? A registry edit was necessary. The process is documented in KB973862
Now that the SP2 installation tool has been released, the process becomes much easier. Follow the steps below.
- Download Exchange 2007 SP2.
- Extract the SP2 into a local folder on SBS 2008.
- Download the SP2 Installation Tool for SBS 2008.
- Install the tool.
- The tool starts automatically once the installation is completed.
- The tool will prompt to locate the folder which has SP2 files. Browse to the local SP2 folder in step 2.
- Follow instructions to complete the installation.
- Restart SBS 2008.
If you have Forefront Security running on SBS 2008, it will have to be disabled before running the SP2 installation. Full info in KB974271