Free Busy Not Working From Office 365 To On-Premise

A common problem that I have seen at client sites is the free/busy failure while looking up an on-premise mailbox from a migrated user. In this article, we will look at the common steps to troubleshoot the issue.

More...

The first step to take is to go through the Microsoft article and make sure that everything is fine. In our case, everything checked out fine.

Second step​ is to run the Free/busy tests in the Microsoft Connectivity website.

In our case, everything was looking good, but the free/busy info came back with ​“No information” with the reason “The external recipient’s server could not be determined”.

The customer had a TMG 2010 array which was publishing all Exchange services including Autodiscover and there was number of network devices in between TMG & internal Exchange servers. We spent a lot of time checking this out, but couldn't find anything and went for a workaround at the end.

When doing a lookup for free/busy information, the Exchange servers within Office 365 will do a lookup to https://autodiscover.domain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.svc/WSSecurity, assuming that autodiscover.domain.com is the published AutoDiscover url.

Rather than letting Autodiscover figure out the endpoint, we stamped the TargetSharingEPR attribute in Organizational Relationship (Exchange Online) to point to the externally published EWS url, say https://mail.domain.com/ews/exchange.asmx.

Once the TargetSharingEPR was set, free/busy information started to flow in fine.​

9 thoughts on “Free Busy Not Working From Office 365 To On-Premise”

  1. Hi , how can we check the urls for autodiscover and ews in online servers as well how can we be sure which url to set up if in case there is no external url for ews setup for on prem servers so do we have to set it up or what exactly

    Reply

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.