Microsoft has a webcast detailing how their IT department deployed Exchange 2010. It goes into detail as to the number of Exchange servers they had and have now, where their datacentres are located etc.
Main points from MSIT Exchange 2010 deployment.
- MSIT uses physical servers for all Exchange 2010 servers.
- Hardware load balancers are used to load balance Exchange protocols and services (No WNLB!).
- Mailboxes are hosted on SAS drives in JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disk) configuration.
- 30 days deleted item retention and litigation hold used for long term preservation of data.
- Backup-less Exchange environment.
- Four copies of each database. Intention is to reduce the number of copies to three.
- No site resilient copy of database.
- No lagged copies. Lagged copies were configured initially, but taken off.
- No Edge servers in use. Forefront Online Protection for Exchange (FOPE) is use instead.
- Cookie based load balancing for OWA & ECP and IP based for EWS, Autodiscover, EAS, RPC and UM.
- SCOM used for monitoring and Exchange 2010 management pack enhances reporting capabilities.
- 5GB mailbox limit in place.
View the webcast for more information.